Location-based service apps are becoming critical to mobile app publishers as it creates opportunities and benefits for businesses in various industries.
Currently, location-based services are growing its popularity in the IT industry, and according to MarketsandMarkets report, this market is expected to reach $40 billion by 2024.
Dynamic types of location-based services such as map navigation, tracking services, information services, social networking have become software development solutions for both businesses and clients. The location-based app leverages GPS technology embedded in smartphones and wireless access points, or infrastructure to locate the current position of devices. Besides, it is also used to suggest on-demand street addresses without manual data entry requirements.
Businesses have already applied this software development to send alerts and messages to gain user attention when they are nearby. The location-based app is beneficial as it creates better marketing opportunities for business, also enhances the social media connectivity among users. In the next few years, location-based in mobile app development is expected to grow globally due to the possibilities that it can deliver.
Features of a location-based services app that drive the attention
- Mobile notifications: The location-based service app can communicate better through mobile push notifications. Users can receive messages about upcoming deals, events, or even dangerous situations in their local community.
- Information filter: Users can easily filter the location information they require and get reminders only on the selected topics. Furthermore, users can filter irrelevant information away from others.
- Personalized suggestions: Based on user interests and travel history, the location-based app can send personalized suggestions about the news and favorite restaurants or locations.
- Route navigation: Also, users can use location-based apps to navigate a suitable road solution to a selected destination, which makes users save time to find a proper route and avoid traffic jams.
Related article: 10 marketing strategies for mobile app developers expanding the app’s audience network
Uses of mobile location-based service
Not only location-based service is used for route tracking, but businesses have also found different ways to apply it:
- Store locator: Using location-based services app intelligence, retail customers can quickly identify nearby stores or on-demand locations.
- Proximity-based marketing: This is beneficial for businesses, that they can push ads to specific individuals within the exact geographic location.
- Travel information: Location-based apps can deliver real-time information such as weather forecasts, traffic updates.
- Fraud prevention: Location-based apps enhance security by matching a customer’s location through the mobile app to a credit card transaction. The location-based app to a credit card allows the bank to flag suspected transactions across several geographic areas over a short time.
Advantages of location-based services on mobile apps
Currently, app users can easily find on-demand locations such as restaurants or fitness clubs, by using location-based service apps. This feature is mostly found in route tracking, social network apps, or apps with location and map navigators.
But why are location-based apps stand out? Below are the critical reasons that Adamo Digital – Vietnam outsource software development company has identified:
- Information: mobile location-based service provides users with information about nearest on-demand locations or objects.
- Social: the location-based app enables users to detect their friend locations, which is beneficial for dating and mobile social apps.
- Communication: Location-based apps allow users to register a destination on the map, to commend and leave feedback about visiting a place or read reviews of others; it also can link a photo or message to a specific location on the map.
- Marketing: businesses can attract new customers by comments and reviews on the location-based app. Also, nearby alert features can gain customer awareness about the business events and discounts.
Business gaining impacts by using the location-based app
Nowadays, location-based service providers have gained many requests about implement this technology on their mobile app due to its advancements and benefits:
Provide accurate and rapid location-based services
GPS technology on location-based apps allows businesses to find customer’s precise location, then send products or services with higher accuracy, avoid missing items, or go to the wrong destination.
Location-based services offer real-time execution
Businesses can use location-based apps to provide their customers with promotional offers and discounts at the apt time. Furthermore, businesses can connect with a targeted set of audiences and gain benefits of localization. With communication features on location-based apps, businesses can collect data about their customer behavior to create a strategic marketing plan.
Enhanced user experience
Geolocation features of location-based services can be applied in particular industries to enhance user experience and engagement rate. Below are examples of an industry that use location-based services:
|Location-based services travel and tourism app||– Check the route from one place to another with guidelines |
– Weather update and forecast
– Suggest popular locations Notice festival or events nearby
|Location-based services for food delivery services app||– Real-time delivery tracking |
– Product status update
– Expected arrival time of the product
|Location-based app for dating||– Locate users in a specific area |
– Connect easily within a selected distance radius
|Location-based services app for fitness and mental health||– Can monitor user’s workout activities to calculate information required|
– Suggest healthy food store
Navigation and virtual tour with location-based services
Currently, the location-based app combined with AR technology for location tracking, impressive navigation, and virtual tours. For example, virtual tours are most beneficial for the property industry, which help with time reduction to travel to the property and money saving on fuel. Customers can view and check the property in advance and create user awareness far from static photos.
Location-based services app development examples
Most significant mobile app publishers are currently applying location-based services in their mobile app development process as they believe in its effectiveness and benefits to both clients and publishers.
- Google Maps: Undoubtedly, Google maps application is the most significant player in the market and sets the bar for location-based service navigation. The app provides the layout of the roads, destinations of cities and towns globally, also detailed geographical features and restaurant reviews.
- Foursquare: Foursquare was a mobile location-based service app innovator, popularizing the idea of checking into locations through a mobile app.
- Dark Sky: This application uses mobile location-based service technology to provide a truly unique experience. Dark Sky goes more profound than other simple weather forecast apps. It offers a hyperlocal forecast for a specific address, with down-to-the-minute notifications about changing weather conditions.
- Uber: The Uber Eats app – an online food delivery app is a prime example of applying location-based services to provide more user-friendly experiences. This app uses two-way location-based technology to target exactly the user’s location, and the user is able to see a live view of the driver’s location on a map.