Since many healthcare systems getting overload these days, smart patient tracking is known as the effective IoT technology boosting hospital performance.
The core value of Healthcare facilities worldwide refers to provide reliable and safe space for their patients. Unfortunately, losing patient control on a hospital campus is no uncommon case.
In practice, the overwhelming patient’svolume needs hospital services each day cause high pressure on the system. In which, some parts of the patient’s information are missing due to the traditional data storing method. Additionally, there are several cases that patients leave the hospital without a permit because of lacking awareness.
Currently, Radio frequency identification (RFID) patient tracking and IoT technology have been using as a smart hospital system, allowing control and analysis of patients’ status. In this article, we aim to introduce how the tracking system to change the way hospital and other treatment center operate.
Patient tracking system
In reality, the Patient tracking system refers to an effective way of managing healthcare centers, which optimizes the capacity of hospitals while boosting bed turnover. Generally, the tracking system was initially developed& to track the position and movement of patients inside hospital campuses, allows doctors to effectively follow up their patients.
Purpose of applying patient tracking
Hospitals use a patient tracking system for closely monitoring patients regardless of rapidly growing numbers. This system aims to provide a comprehensive record of patients as a guide in giving them a proper diagnosis.
Hospital patient tracking systems create a way to access the list of patients, appointments, electronic medical records, and more. You can handily retrieve the medical histories, which are stored as digital forms. Additionally, the extra features of the patient flow tracker have the ability to automatically create an analysis report and forecast that help hospitals to deal with uncertainty.
Patient tracking software helps hospitals in quickly detecting the incidents by analyzing data about the patient’s movement. Depending on historical input, the IoT technology will immediately make suggestions regarding abrupt incidents, then sending alerts to physicians or nurses. For a long-term basis, past data collected in the system will show the hospital regarding possible dangerous positions. Including slippery floor, inconvenient stairs, and more, for quick responding against the potential damage.
Related article: Healthcare tech – What make healthcare startups success in the era of Digital Health
Depending on the nature of healthcare centers, patient tracking software might focus on the given group of features, in favor of synchronizing with other healthcare management software. Commonly, a hospital needs to hire support from professional healthcare software development companies like Adamo Digital in consulting and developing a proper tracking system leveraging both RFID and IoT technology.
Hospital’s benefit of using patient tracking software
Dynamic benefits of using the patient tracking software in healthcare.
- Visit tracker: commonly used for integration among healthcare providers. In which, patient data will be shared, provide doctors the entire journeys of their patients for improving the diagnosis precision.
- Locating patients: with real-time location tracker, hospitals can find their patients in case that they were away from their room
- Improving patient satisfaction: the physicians can access a database to follow-up appointments and detect the core demand of their customers. In the patients’ perspective, they will be notified whenever they have a scheduled meeting with doctors. Whereas, they tend to be self-aware of respecting hospital services.
- Effective medical record storing: All the medical histories will automatically update in the database by the real-time tracking methodology. Furthermore, the patient tracking system protects the interoperability among the hospital’s factors, including doctors, surgeons, nurses, and more, due to information transparency.
- Support managing claim and denies: Support managing claim and denies: In practice, hospitals have suffered the cost for claims processing, that the averages amount reported as roundly US$ 118 per claim. Patient tracking systems provide evidence, which supports hospitals in deciding whether the claim is valid or not.
- Reducing waiting time for patients: patient tracking system optimizes the operation of healthcare centers, which allows it to serves more volume of patients in a given time. As a result, patients can use the software for an appointment rather than rely on receptionists.
How IoT monitoring work in patient flow tracker
An IoT monitoring system is believed to be the best assistant for preventing medicine in healthcare services. The system provides tools for gathering data, processing, and reworking it into useful insight. By which, doctors have evidence to prevent diseases even when it does not occur.
IoT system architecture
A primary IoT architecture for patient tracking system includes sensors, medical record tracking system, GPS, and GSM modules.
- Sensors are seemingly the heart components of a monitoring system, which capture and record patients’ movement. In practice, sensors are widely used in tracking temperatures, activities, vitals, location, and other defined indicators of patients.
- A medical record tracking system uses to manage the interactions among healthcare devices. This system is responsible for processing and storing data collected from the sensors. The medical tracking platform refers to the destination for transferring raw visualized information.
- GPS modules aim to track the specific location of patients on a real-time basis.
- GSM modules use to send the alert to users, including patients, doctors, the physicians.
Related article: Medical apps as a patients’ assistant for medication intake
IoT applications in the patient tracking system
There are several technology solutions that hospitals could consider, which decide the budget requires for the software development projects.
1. RFID patient tracking
RFID tracking takes responsible for quickly detect the exact location of patients as well as notify their upcoming schedule appointment. In modern healthcare devices, RFID can be found as a form of wristbands with identity code, which can be scan to provides medical records. In many cases, RFID safe several lives, while it contains details of blood types, allergies, and more for instant access.
2. Smart clothes as new future of healthcare revolution
Connectable clothes and jewelry are known as representatives of the healthcare revolution, which allow both tracking and monitoring users. Instead of only providing location, smart clothes also point out how the treatment performs. For example, mart stockings help with edema treatment, while smart bandages track the healing wound.
3. Patient tracking mobile app
Telehealth becomes more and more popular these days thanks to technology a Telehealth becomes more and more popular these days thanks to technological advancement. In which, the demand for mobile app development for the healthcare sector is on the rise due to the enormous benefit it brings for both treatment centers and patients. With IoT technologies, mobile apps can be a crucial part of the hospital managing system, providing connections between services providers and patients.
In conclusion, patient tracking software and RFID tracking give doctors a hand to better communicate with their patients, which contributes to improving the internal hospital process. However, adopting a smart healthcare system might consist of several technical concerns that healthcare facilities will find head to cover. These problems commonly relate to cybersecurity and system deployment. As a result, it is necessary to consider the experts’ consultant, an experienced software development company in particular.