Have you ever heard about DevOps?
Yes, DevOps is the word combined by Software development (Dev), information technology operations (Ops) for shortening the software developing process. By using DevOps, the software development can smoothly work, all the teams are on the same page and are able to work as an independent team.
The end result?
Using DevOps helps to improve your application quality due to its quickly update and releasing a new version. Because the barrier of communication among teams no longer exists which can boost not only the quality but also the development process up. As the benefits from DevOps, many Software service company are updating their strategy to reinvent the software development process and provide the best outsourcing software development service to their customers. Let’s take a look at the graphic below:
According to Statista reports, at least 10% of IT service companies in the world are fully applying DevOps, this number increase to 17% in the next year. Many people confirm about DevOps benefits, from the stability and reliability of the application.
The 2017 State of DevOps Report by Puppet also announced about their application process to experience DevOps functions.
- 46x more frequent deployments
- more frequent deployments
- 440x faster changes
- 96x faster mean time to recover (MTTR)
- 5x lower change failure rate
DevOps + Mobile App Development: Creating Synergy
When DevOps and mobile app development process is syncing together, DevOps can create a unique point to not only improve the environment but also other partners.
Continuous Software Delivery
Do you know six C’s create DevOps? Representing a continuous activity or set of activity, each C collaborate with each other to create a perfect operation process and help the business smoothly run. These six C’s include Continuous planning, continuous integration, continuous testing, continuous delivery, continuous monitoring, and continuous deployment.
- Continuous Planning – gathering all a dedicated software developer team (from the developers, testers, project managers…) and creating a full plan with clear timeline and vision of the project to make sure the whole team are on the same page of developing software.
- Continuous Integration – Finishing the first step of sending the project idea to the team member, a group platform should be built to all member can follow the continuous workflow and support each other when it needs.
- Continuous Testing – Testing is an important process to make sure every function work well before launching, and this process should be processed along with the developing process, which can save a lot of time during software development.
- Continuous Delivery – We have a unique platform where the plan and all working statuses are updated daily, even hourly. This is not only used to discuss among the team during the development process but also update the working process as customers’ preference.
- Continuous Monitoring- Testing, updating the status, all of these activities support for the leader, project manager, and customers to monitor the performance project and improve the application based on the feedback from the end-users.
- Continuous Deployment – Automatically testing, make sure all the change is deployed to the live environment on a regular basis.
Synergy 1: Faster fixing bugs and solving problem
When you download and use a new app, what should you do you it crash while you are using it? Some will delete the app, some will immediately go to the Appstore or CH Play to give bad reviews of the app. Is what you want your future app will be?
Of course, not. However, the above case study did happen previously when the DevOps didn’t appear yet.
The DevOps appears, and the app will be tested fully before launching, then the rate of technical issues appear during the end user uses the app will be optimized. That solution is expected by both investors and developers team.
Synergy 2: Let’s go to the market
By breaking down a project to silos, DevOps creates many potential competitive advantages while still can analyse and solve a long team updating. Therefore, DevOps will save a lot of time during the software development process and target customers.
Synergy 3: A Better Communication and Collaboration
As a teamwork activity, every team member requires a platform to update the working status as well as used for the whole team members to connect and discuss. Via the communication, the member can make sure about the working process, and know their team members are on the same page with you.
Applying DevOps, the mobile application development team can feel easier to control, monitor as well as save the time of working. While a combination of six C, it can create the ideal family and develop the business.